BBQ COMPETITION APPLICATION AND RULES
Team Name ______________________________________Contact______________________
City____________________________________________ State_______ Zip_______________
Entry Fee: $25.00 - $_______
Total Enclosed $_________
Check Categories in which you will compete:
Chicken*_______ Pork Ribs*______ Chef’s Choice*______
* Teams must enter to qualify for Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion
Set up begins at 7:00 AM on Saturday, May 7. All teams may come in on Saturday, May 13th until 9:00AM; competition judging begins 2:00 PM. Awards will be presented at 3:30 PM on Saturday. This is an amateur event with posted rules applicable. Additional rules may be available at sign up. Site must be torn down and free of litter before leaving the premises on Saturday, May 13th.
Waiver of Liability: In consideration of you accepting this entry, I, the undersigned, intending to be legally bound, hereby for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims for damages I may have against J. Samuel Whiting, J. Samuel Whiting Fresh and Smoked Meats, Whiting Family Foods LLC, Wilmington Twp., PA, J. Samuel Whiting’s BBQ judges, or any individual or group responsible for the organization or management of J. Samuel Whiting Fresh and Smoked Meats or Whiting Family Foods, LLC. I hereby grant permission for J. Samuel Whiting, J. Samuel Whiting BarBQue Committee and/or agents authorized by them, to use any photographs, videotapes, motion pictures, recordings and any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose. I agree to abide by the rules and regulations of J. Samuel Whiting, J. Samuel Whiting Fresh and Smoked Meats, Whiting Family Foods LLC, and Wilmington Twp., PA.
Signature of Chief Cook _______________________________ Date _____________
Release must be signed or entry will not be processed
Indicate how checks should be made out if you are a cash award winner:
Contact: Whiting Family Foods (724) 946-8633
Send application & check made payable to: Whiting Family Foods
305 Easy St. Rt 208E; New Wilmington, PA 16142
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
1. ALL CONTESTANTS/CHALLENGERS ARE EQUAL. A contestant is one who is engaged in the cooking of meat in this contest. There will be no Professional vs. Amateur Classifications. This is an “Amateur Only” event.
3. Barbecue is defined as uncooked meat or fowl prepared over a wood or charcoal fire and basted, or not, as the cook sees fit. Recipes may be submitted in 3 categories: Chicken, Pork Ribs, and Chef’s Choice. In order to qualify for Grand Champion a team must compete in all three categories. The ribs must be regular spareribs or baby back ribs or country-style ribs. The chicken may be whole or in pieces when cooked, but must be entered as six (6) separated, identifiable pieces. The Chef’s Choice category can include any meat, seafood, hot or cold dessert, cooked or uncooked fruit or vegetable entry. If a Chef’s Choice entry is a meat or seafood, it will be judged with the same criteria of six separate, identifiable pieces. If it is entered as a dessert or any other item, there must be enough to feed at least six (6) judges. If a team is entering a cooked item for a Chef’s Choice entry, the item must be cooked over wood or charcoal. Cooking on any other heat source is grounds for disqualification from this contest!
4. Team check in is 7:00am – 9:00am Saturday unless prior arrangements are made with Sam. Cooks meeting will be at 9:30 – after the meeting you will be able to start cooking.
5. Someone will be on site Saturday morning to check all meat that will be used in the contest to insure that it complies with the rules of the competition. Meats purchased that are already seasoned or marinated are not allowed. Meat must be raw when the contest begins. Cooking may start as soon as the meat has been approved by the inspector, and after the cooks’ meeting. Parboiling and/or deep frying competition meat is not allowed.
6. Once competition meat has been inspected, it may not leave the contest site.
7. ALL Competition meats that are not purchased at our meat store MUST be inspected by a CONTEST INSPECTOR on duty at the contest during the times set by Sam, but not prior to the day before judging. The Health Department requires that the following meat holding conditions must be met: After cooking, meat must be maintained at a minimum temperature of 140 degrees F. Cooked potentially hazardous food shall be cooled: 1) Within 2 hours from 140 degrees F to 70 degrees F and 2) Within 4 hours from 70 degrees F to 41 degrees F or less. Potentially hazardous food that is cooked, cooled, and reheated for hot holding shall be reheated so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165 degrees F for 15 seconds.
8. Contestants must provide all needed equipment, supplies and electricity, except as arranged for in advance. Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes whether city, county, state or federal.
9. Cookers, tents*, canopies*, or any other equipment, including generators, may not exceed the boundaries of the team's assigned cooking space. * Must be fire retardant.
10. Fires must be of wood, pellets, or charcoal. No electric or gas grills permitted. Propane permitted as fire starter only. Electric spits, augers, and forced draft accessories are permitted.
12. It is the responsibility of the contestant to see that the team's assigned cooking space is kept clean and policed during the contest. It is imperative that clean-up be thorough after the contest. Trash bins for waste will be available as well as bins for ash and coal disposal.
13. CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION: (Disqualification is at the discretion of Sam)
14. YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!
15. This is a rain or shine event and participants should plan for foul weather.
16. Judging times are pre-determined and sufficient time will be given between rounds. Advanced calling for an item will not occur. Therefore, if chicken is scheduled for 3:00 p.m., plan to submit it then. An entry will be judged only at the time posted by the organizing committee. The allowable turn in time will be five (5) minutes before to five (5) minutes after the posted time with no exceptions.
17. Each contestant MUST submit at least six (6) separated and identifiable portions of meat in a container. Meat will be judged on TASTE, TENDERNESS and APPEARANCE.
18. Garnish is optional.
19. Marking or sculpting of any kind of the meat or container is not allowed. This will include but is not limited to painting, sculpting, or decorating. No aluminum foil or stuffing is allowed in the container. No toothpicks, skewers, or foreign materials are permitted. No puddling of any sauce or branding of any meat is permitted.
20. Each team will supply the meat or Chef’s Choice entry for six (6) judges as well as any samples they want to give to visitors in their competition space.
21. The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply to all teams:
22. Judging will be done in the following order:
Awards Ceremony ……….……………. .3:30 – 4:00 pm
Questions regarding the BBQ Contest and Rules Contact: